Picture Pages

It’s that time of year when the phone book sized September magazines start arriving in my mailbox so this weekend, I decided to clean out the old to make room for the new. At least my stack of magazines isn’t as bad as Domino Editor Tori Mellott’s above. It used to be when I lived in Boston but the thought of moving all of them to New York six years was a scary thought so I threw them out. Now, I just keep Domino, House & Garden, ELLE Decor and Men’s Vogue. The rest I go through and tear out the pages I want to keep. Let’s not even get started on my mess of tear sheets. I’m still trying to figure out a organized filing system for those!

So, I’m curious as to what your favorite magazines are and which you keep and which you throw out. And how the heck do you organize your tear sheets???

1. Cote de Texas August 13, 2007 | 3:38 am

Habit: remember we were talking about being beat to the punch? Your post made me smile. Check it out:

just teasing you!!! ok, here goes, I have binders, with clear plastic pages, and inside one page, I’ll put the entire article I cut out – so some pages may have one page inside and other 10. But that being said and me sounding oh so organized, I have baskets full of torn articles waiting for their plastic sleeves. I keep Veranda, Southern Accents (hey! I’m from Texas), Domino, HB, Elle mostly in that order I guess. Too much clutter. I need an organizer like on HGTV.
    Joni

2. ALL THE BEST August 13, 2007 | 11:12 am

Joni it sounds like we have the same system! I actually moved all of my magazines (100s) from the States when we moved to Scotland 2 years ago. Just last weekend I did a toss and tear. Now I have more articles waiting for their plastic sleeves!! I never, never, never toss out my December issues, I love to get in a Christmas mood reading them each year.

3. Habitually Chic August 13, 2007 | 2:06 pm

I tried the plastic sleeves years ago but could never keep up with them. Now I have all my tear sheets in low boxes that slide under my couch. Occassionally, I organize them and then put them in plastic envelopes from Staples but I feel like I’m waging a losing battle!

4. Brilliant Asylum August 13, 2007 | 2:59 pm

I keep mine in a 20-slot accordian file by room or idea. When a category’s pocket gets too full(like travel), it get’s it’s own accordian file with sub-categories.

5. Leyre August 13, 2007 | 6:09 pm

I also keep mine in a binder with clear plastic inserts but it’s starting to get a bit out of control as I’m nearly growing out of a 3 inch binder. I’m now deciding between adding another binder or editing what I already have to make room for more.

I’m a pretty indescriminate tear…er…tearer? I tear out EVERYTHING that catches my eye is what I’m saying, so I think that maybe I could go through and edit a bit to get rid of stuff that caught my eye but that I’m really over (or have doubles of, which happened in a few cases).

I don’t keep any magazines unless the whole issue blows me away and I would otherwise be tearing out most of the pages. I have a couple of issues of Domino and Vogue and I think that’s about it!

6. The Crafty Weasel August 13, 2007 | 7:39 pm

Ahhh, so glad I’m not the only one. I kept all my magazines until my husband threatens to throw them out (we’re talking bookcases-full!) – then I pick out the issues I cannot bear to throw out, hide a few more (heh!) and tear the pages I want off the rest.

As for storing… hmm, I just put them in transparent sheet holders, in a binder – waiting for the day I come up with a filing system.

My problem has always been – do I organize them by style? by colour? by room?

Any ideas? 🙂

7. Sarah Jennings August 13, 2007 | 7:43 pm

I keep most of my magazines, and use a neon tab to mark the pages that I love (or if there is an item I love). I hate to throw away because I feel as if I see different things when I am in different moods (or if my taste changes or expands). I like the fact that I can check the buyer resources in the back, which I could not do if I tore everything out. However, I have a LOT of magazines now, and the sysem is not very efficient because I have to sort through a lot of stuff if I am trying to find ‘that room’ or ‘that piece of furniture’ that caught my eye. I need a new system! I have gone through all of my 1997-2001 magazines a final time, and have thrown out many of them.

8. Habitually Chic August 13, 2007 | 9:03 pm

To The Crafty Weasel, I organize my interior design tear sheets by magazine since the style is consistent and I can usually remember what magazine I saw something in and then if I notice a theme, I organize those together in a separate folder. It’s very confusing. I just don’t have room for binders.

9. becky August 14, 2007 | 5:30 pm

I keep all of my Dominos and most of my Cottage Livings. Often I’ll have to keep an H&G and an Elle Decor, but mostly I am merciless about just ripping out everything that catches my eye!

I keep plastic sleeve books for all the different rooms (one for bathrooms, one for kitchens, one for current projects like lofts), one for objects I want…). It’s not pretty, especially since I have realized that things left in plastic sleeves here in Atlanta MOLD! My portfolio from grad school is a moldy mess after spending 5 years in humidity! BTW, never store your clothing in plastic in Georgia for the same reason – they will literally rot!

Becky

10. Cote de Texas August 15, 2007 | 6:36 am

I forgot to say, that I usually cut out the reference page if it’s a great article that I would need them.

So glad I got to add that very important detail.

Joni

11. patriciagrayinc.com August 16, 2007 | 3:06 am

? Men’s Vogue…must check it out.
    I Stack all my magazines on their side with the spines facing out, in bookshelves, sorted in piles as per magazine, and in cronological order. Most recent on top. I keep the current issues on my credenza. I used to put tabs on the pages I wanted to return to, but that was difficult because I had to open up to each tab to find what I wanted. So now I put a post-it note on the page and write on it. That way I can easily find what I am looking for. It is like having tab folders in a filing cabinet. I usually don’t tear out pages unless there is something specific I am needing for reference. I usually keep back issues for 5 years and then go through and tear out and throw away. But then I regret it and long for them back, like all my Architectural Digest collection dating back to 1982. One thing I do tear out as I go through a magazine the first time is all the advertisements. It drives me crazy. Usually this eliminates the thickness of the magazine by 1/2.

12. Anne August 23, 2007 | 4:07 am

I’ve used alot of your systems, ours are all very similar! Great minds.. =)

Right now this is what I do:

I get Elle, Elle Decor, Vogue, In Style, Town&Country, Domino, Dwell, Blue Print…I think there’s more..

I keep all the current months mags displayed on a shelf
    I tear out pages that inspire me
    They are then displayed on my canvas inspiration board for that month
    Then they go into manilla folders according to (home/decor, fashion, etc.) and put into a magazine file.
    The articles that are exceptional and relate to either home design or business design go into the clear plastic sleeves in a binder.

phew!

13. Anonymous March 17, 2009 | 5:29 pm

I have a lateral file cabinet with one drawer devoted to tear sheets. Once a year I go thru all my magazines and file the sheets. My filing system is somewhat arbitrary, but I generally sort by style. I sometimes lend my files to my clients to help them realize their “likes” visually. I then photocopy my tear sheets for individual client files to illustrate a color, pattern or furniture selection. These illustrations go into a binder for each client. This system has worked well for me. BTW- love your site!