It’s Domino Day!

This morning, I was checking out Domino online when I stumbled upon a House Tour with designer Barrie Benson. I didn’t really realize who she was until I started recognizing the amazing design job she did for the home of Charlotte boutique owner Laura Vinroot Poole that was published in the February 2007 issue.

Then when I went to the newsstand to pick up the October issue of Domino, guess who was on the cover, the designer herself, Barrie Benson! I have to say, it’s probably one of my favorite all time Domino covers. I leafed through it a little but I can’t wait to really sit down and read it this weekend. It looks like it’s going to be a really great issue.

Below are just a few photos from Barrie’s 1956 ranch house in Charlotte, North Carolina that she shares with her family. Enjoy!

Photos by Laura Resen

1. Brilliant Asylum September 21, 2007 | 7:38 pm

Stunning–just as wonderful as the Poole house. Can’t wait to peruse my Domino…if it ever gets here!

2. Habitually Chic September 21, 2007 | 7:49 pm

I feel your pain about how long the magazines take to arrive. That’s why I just go out and buy them.

3. girl meets glamour September 21, 2007 | 7:49 pm

I can’t wait to get my issue…thanks for the preview though, now I’m going to be waiting by the mailbox until this comes 🙂

~Kate

4. Habitually Chic September 21, 2007 | 7:55 pm

Kate, there are sooo many great homes featured, it makes me want to redecorate. Seriously, this is the best issue in a long tim! You’re going to love it!

5. Things That Inspire September 23, 2007 | 7:06 pm

Hi – How would you characterize the style of this designer, or of her house? Maybe it defies a simple description. The architecture has such an influence on my impressions.

6. LIBERTY POST EDITOR September 24, 2007 | 1:43 am

That is a powerful cover. It will be a huge seller.

7. Suzy September 24, 2007 | 5:27 am

I’m living vicariously through your blog – my last two subscription issues of Domino have not yet arrived, and it’t available on the stands here….

8. Habitually Chic September 24, 2007 | 1:29 pm

Things that Inspire,

Great question! My first thought was that she exemplifies what is going on with design right now. Designers and real people are taking things they love, family antiques, flea market finds, new pieces from West Elm and mixing them all together to create a truly personal environment. I think we need to come up with a name for this style so it’s easier to describe.

I went back to the article to see what Barrie has to say and she said that although the house is mid-century, they decided not to furnish it mid-century and to mix different periods and styles. I think it looks fabulous and I’m so glad you liked it too!

9. Habitually Chic September 24, 2007 | 1:29 pm

Liberty Post Editor, I really do think it’s one of their best covers! It’s so striking!

10. Habitually Chic September 24, 2007 | 1:31 pm

Suzy, Oh no! I always think about how much I would love to live abroad, but then how would I survive without my magazines!

11. franki durbin September 24, 2007 | 3:54 pm

there’s something so fun about getting your new issue in the mail, isn’t there? Sadly, I received too many on the same day and will be juggling issues all week. So I was delighted to see you point out some of the better features.

And the cover – I agree – was fabulous!

12. Joslyn September 24, 2007 | 6:44 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

13. patricia gray September 25, 2007 | 3:27 am

You should go to Jackie’s blog and see the post she did on this designer…it is food for thought:

14. Joslyn September 25, 2007 | 2:56 pm

oops i accidentally deleted my own comment. i know there’s some controversy swirling around her “snaking” of rooms, but i stand by my love for this cover…and the shots by Laura Resen are lovely.

15. Habitually Chic September 25, 2007 | 3:32 pm

Patricia, I’ll have to check it out. Thanks.

16. Habitually Chic September 25, 2007 | 3:34 pm

Josyln, I read some of the hoopla, I think designers take inspiration from others all the time. She just happpened to be honest about it. She gave her client a version they could afford. Not everyone can hire a top interior designer. I still like Barrie’s designs no matter what anyone says!