D.L. & Co. – Modern Alchemists and Purveyors of Curious Goods

There are creative types and then their are creative types that take things to a whole other level. Such is the case with Douglas Little, owner of D.L. & Co., which touts itself as Modern Alchemists and Purveyors of Curious Goods. That’s putting it mildly. And what better time of year to profile Mr. Little and his fabulous company than at Halloween!

My first introduction to Douglas Little was through his original signature line of candles. They smelled like nothing I’d ever encountered before and had names that sounded slightly sinister like Thorn Apple, my favorite. I love it so much that I keep hoping he will turn it into a perfume. He already has a line of stationery and other objects and curiosities so I feel like it might be a possibility soon. Fingers crossed!

Last year, House and Garden featured Douglas Little’s designs in a spooky spread in the November issue of the magazine entitled Gothic Splendor, and he also recreated the haunting images for the Fifth Avenue windows at Bergdorf Goodman. The following images are so stunning and visually intricate. I love them. You can also check out the Bergdorf windows and the process behind creating them on the D.L. & Co. website under Press.

Douglas Little’s creativity and attention to detail continues to astound me. I feel like I never know what he’s going to dream up next but I know it will be something fantastic, like the Mori Ex Cacao (Death by Chocolate) collection he collaborated on with Valerie Confections. The perfect Halloween treat to scare your sweet! BOO!

1. Suzy October 31, 2007 | 4:37 am

I love his candles! I wish we could get the full range here, but there is only 1 retailer who stocks the candles, and I haven’t even had a chance to smell them…must do that soon!

2. Mackenna October 31, 2007 | 11:22 am

that house and garden issue is in my permanent halloween decoration file love the macabre miss havisham thing rather than the usual cutesy type stuff. love love DL and all of his ridiculously luxurious goods
    p.s. have you smelled the seven sins candles? soo good and they come with Strong stationary

3. Style Court October 31, 2007 | 1:16 pm

This is one of the best Halloween posts I’ve seen. Just perfect for a design blog! Love it.

4. Alice Olive October 31, 2007 | 1:37 pm

Wow, all those little details are amazing. As you say, some people’s creativity is astounding! I love the Death by Chocolate – what a ghoulish/fabulous/delicious idea!

5. Jane Flanagan October 31, 2007 | 2:47 pm

I absolutely adore these candles and have just finished a large one so wil have to renew. Their website is phenomenal!

6. Habitually Chic October 31, 2007 | 3:01 pm

Suzy, maybe you need to open a little shop and carry the whole line! I love Thorn Apple but there are a lot of new scents I haven’t smelled yet either. I think I might head over to Barney’s today for a peak.

7. Habitually Chic October 31, 2007 | 3:04 pm

Mackenna, I agree. It’s a much more sophisticated halloween look. I love it too. I saw the Seven Sins candles online but I haven’t smelled them yet. I think I am going to check them out today!

8. Habitually Chic October 31, 2007 | 3:05 pm

Style Court, thanks so much for the kind words. I’m not a big fan of cutesy holiday decorations so this is more my style. Glad you like it too!

9. Habitually Chic October 31, 2007 | 3:06 pm

Alice, there is so much to look at in Douglas Little’s work. It’s so intricate and detailed. He is so amazing!

10. Habitually Chic October 31, 2007 | 3:07 pm

Jane, so glad you checked out the website! I was pouring over it all day yesterday. I think I might go buy myself a new candle today too!

11. dianamuse October 31, 2007 | 5:54 pm

Okay. This is THE coolest Halloween post! I’ll never forget those BG windows (to die for – heh heh). But I hadn’t known of Mr. Little’s website. Thanks to you, once again, for sharing the extraordinaire.

12. design for mankind. October 31, 2007 | 7:39 pm

What an AWESOME Halloween post! 🙂 Your blog is getting better by the SECOND!

13. Habitually Chic November 1, 2007 | 5:23 pm

Diana, love your pun! I used to live on the same block as Bergdorf’s and loved walking by the windows everyday. They are so amazing!

14. Habitually Chic November 1, 2007 | 5:24 pm

Design for Mankind, so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the kind words too!