Dear Vogue,

Dear Vogue,
I understand that celebrities on the cover of magazines are the norm now but that doesn’t mean that I want to see a sullen faced teenager staring back at me.  Vogue has always featured the best of the best in fashion, design, photography, and art.  It made models like Suzy Parker, Twiggy, Lauren Hutton, and Veruschka household names.  I think I speak for many when I say, perhaps it’s time to return to models on covers instead of celebrities who just have a movie to promote.  I can’t think of a better magazine to lead the way than Vogue so hope you’ll consider this suggestion.
Sincerely,
Habitually Chic

1. M.Lane January 18, 2011 | 1:20 pm

How TRUE! I can see that “look” skulking around at the mall. Great thought.

ML

2. Roxy Te January 18, 2011 | 1:21 pm

Amen, sister! I concur!

3. Alice Olive January 18, 2011 | 1:34 pm

4. Belle on Heels January 18, 2011 | 1:39 pm

preach on!!

5. lizziefitz January 18, 2011 | 1:40 pm

DITTO!

6. darnie January 18, 2011 | 1:46 pm

As soon as the models sell as many copies of their magazine as the celebrities then Vogue and the rest will go back to models. We as a society have allowed it to happen with our voyeuristic look into stars lives, what they wear, where they go, how they eat, who they date.

7. balsamfir January 18, 2011 | 1:50 pm

Amen

8. Natasha January 18, 2011 | 1:53 pm

Yes, Maaaam! I agree!

Northern Light

9. The Zhush January 18, 2011 | 1:54 pm

Well said Heather! Hope they listen!

10. The EJT January 18, 2011 | 1:55 pm

Agreed!

11. A.n.a. January 18, 2011 | 2:00 pm

Celebrities can be great – if they are more than just a celebrity or just an actor. Like Gwyneth Paltrow who seems to be able to do everything at the same time – which I think is pretty inspiring.
    But a girl without any style or character, only famous because of a book written by somebody else?? well…

12. Michael Hampton January 18, 2011 | 2:16 pm

Thank yoooooou! Is the actresses name Kristin Davis? I cant stand her constant unhappy look!

13. Ragland Hill Social by Gwen Driscoll January 18, 2011 | 2:22 pm

So agree. I thought it was about fashion not fame. Hate to say it, it’s all about what sells mags I’m afraid. Have a great week.

14. smitten in cle January 18, 2011 | 2:23 pm

I totally agree. I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

15. CB January 18, 2011 | 2:24 pm

Completely agree. Most of these celebrities can’t model clothes and I find the profiles that go with the covers awfully boring.

16. Habitually Chic January 18, 2011 | 2:29 pm

So glad others feel the same way about celebrities and specifically Kristen Stewart. Seeing her on the cover of Vogue was the last straw for me. There is nothing chic or stylish or interesting about her. I know celebrities sell covers but maybe I will stop buying then. European magazines still have models on many of their covers. I don’t know their circulation numbers but they certainly have more ad pages!

17. Luciane at HomeBunch.com January 18, 2011 | 2:30 pm

Wow.. I totally agree with what Alice Olive said: “Totally agree. I pray that Vogue never stoops to the ultimate low: a Kardashian on the cover. I will cancel my subscription immediately. I’m with Grace Coddington on celebs as models.” . I’m with you, Heather to certain point. I think it’s ok to have celebrities sometimes, no ALL the times. But Kristen Stewart is not a teenager and she’s very talented. I actually like the way she “deals” with fame. She’s simple and pretty. But yes… maybe it would be nice to see someone on the cover that has something to do with fashion. I’ m with you on that.

Have a Great Tuesday!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

18. Annette January 18, 2011 | 2:31 pm

totally agree! well said!

19. Brittany {Gallery No. Eight} January 18, 2011 | 2:32 pm

I totally agree with you! But by putting her on the cover, all the fans of her movie will buy it. And they represent a significant portion of people. I wish magazines wouldn’t cater to only specific groups of people when they put celebrities on the cover. Lou Lou magazine here in Canada puts models on their cover. I can’t remember if they’ve ever put a celebrity on it or not…

20. Cupcake January 18, 2011 | 2:40 pm

They can do better!
    Cupcake

21. Christina January 18, 2011 | 2:43 pm

I thought movies and those who commit their careers to that craft is the best of art and culture. Not saying Twilight is art, but Kristen Stewart definitely has the potential to go beyond that and has.

22. Acquired Objects January 18, 2011 | 2:48 pm

Totally with you on that score!

23. Grace January 18, 2011 | 3:03 pm

100% agreed!

24. La Maison Fou January 18, 2011 | 3:13 pm

A leap back to the old trodden of what does work, and what people want!
    Leave the celeb watch to E News or reality t.v.
    L.

25. Karena January 18, 2011 | 3:15 pm

Vogue should recall how many disliked seeing celebs on the cover of Architectural Digest…

Xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

26. ruffledrose.com January 18, 2011 | 3:15 pm

Couldn’t agree with you more! Nothing irked me more than Blake Lively on the cover, twice, in the last year.

27. Design Candy January 18, 2011 | 3:27 pm

Well said! Once in awhile its ok but enough is enough.

28. Lindsey Lou! January 18, 2011 | 3:35 pm

I don’t mind celebs on the covers of fashion magazines so long as they’re the kinds of celebs noted for their personal style. I mean…I could see Lady Gaga on the cover of Vogue or Victoria Beckham (though…rumor has it Anna Wintour thinks she’s trashy), but seriously; covers like these are so underwhelming.

29. Daniella January 18, 2011 | 3:37 pm

Hmmm, this is an interesting topic because I think that’s just the way American Vogue is now. It’s very… well, American, if I can say say that without stepping on any toes. It’s been all about celebrities for a while now, if you compare it to Paris or Italian Vogue. I don’t think they’ll ever get back to consistent model covers more related to fashion. Maybe that’s just my thoughts? lol…

30. jones January 18, 2011 | 3:49 pm

Thanks, Heather. Some one needed to say that. Let’s hope that the powers that be are listening. Mary

31. quintessence January 18, 2011 | 3:58 pm

AMEN!!!

32. Babs K. January 18, 2011 | 4:17 pm

I could not agree more! Dare I say I am starting to get a bit bored with Vogue? Sacrilege, I know, but I just not really wowed anymore. And, don’t get me started with the head-to-toe single designer looks in the editorial spreads. BORING!

33. Casey January 18, 2011 | 4:40 pm

She doesn’t look comfortable, much less happy! This is supposed to inspire us to buy the magazine?

34. Pamela Alexander-Beutler January 18, 2011 | 5:29 pm

Amen! Thank you for saying something.

35. The Wife January 18, 2011 | 6:14 pm

Well Said… Kristen Stewart makes the worst covergirl!

36. JWK January 18, 2011 | 6:16 pm

Couldn’t agree MORE!!!

37. Chic Coles January 18, 2011 | 6:55 pm

Very good point.I could say more about this but you said it just right.

38. Nita {ModVintageLife} January 18, 2011 | 7:58 pm

I agree. Ms Kristen drives me nuts….If you are so miserable being a movie star, honey….leave the business. I am sick of seeing her all slumped in gorgeous clothes and never raising her eyes to meet the camera. Very tired of it. There are many more girls more talented, more attractive and certainly more worthy. I’d like her to start looking like she is having fun.

Although…I think it all stems from her being a lesbian and not being ready to come out….I think she is miserable wearing all those dresses.

39. Modern Country Lady January 18, 2011 | 8:17 pm

I think you have Anna Wintour to thank for this trend- and yes it is so blegh and blah, could not agree more! Hope Anna reads your blog and changes her mind !!! About time!!

40. Jenny January 18, 2011 | 8:27 pm

Seriously, the worst Vogue cover ever…

41. lola and ali January 18, 2011 | 8:28 pm

Thank god someone has said it! I am with you all the way. Please, please don’t put anymore celebrities on the cover of the fashion bible!!

42. Marlazz January 18, 2011 | 9:07 pm

I couldn’t agree more! I cancelled my long running subscription to Glamour when Britney Spears and then (horrors!) Paris Hilton appeared on the covers.

43. sarahsscrumptioussamplings January 18, 2011 | 10:20 pm

Agreed! I have nothing against Kristen Stewart but that pictures is quite unattractive. What has she done to deserve the cover of Vogue? If Vogue were to feature a Twilight star, Ms. Wintour should have chosen Anna Kendrick who has been nominated for a Tony award and an Oscar. Now she’s an accomplished young lady. But only if Vogue continues featuring celebrities…

44. Maison Luxe January 18, 2011 | 10:22 pm

Couldn’t agree more! Kristin Stewart is no fashion icon, that’s for sure. Bring back the beautiful fashion and models Vogue, please spare us the Kristin Stewarts of the world (isn’t that what US Weekly is for?)

45. Penney3000 January 18, 2011 | 11:29 pm

You get my vote. Let’s hope that it helps.

46. Rebekah January 19, 2011 | 12:00 am

Just voicing my approval of your letter. Please send it to Vogue, T&C, and other supposed “high-end” magazines. I know celebrities sell covers, but professional women with taste and a few years under their belts are the only ones who can afford to purchase the clothing featured inside.

47. chichunters January 19, 2011 | 12:22 am

so true.

and really, does she merit a vogue cover? i think not1

48. mohawker92 January 19, 2011 | 12:34 am

I understand why celebrities have become so popular, and most of the time I don’t mind–but Kristen Stewart has mentioned in numerous interviews how uncomfortable she is glamming it up for events. I wish Vogue could at least stick to celebrities that ENJOY the fabulous clothes they get to wear!

49. Denise January 19, 2011 | 1:06 am

AMEN, that cover is just plain horrible. what a waste!

50. Ally January 19, 2011 | 3:27 am

While I adore models (esp. Natalia Vodianova, Julia Stegner, Coco Rocha) you have to be reasonable! In this world today when magazines are consistently declining Vogue is still a business. It has to sell issues and lots of them. People today are fascinated by celebrity, specifically Hollywood. I think the Twilight movie franchise (and books) are awful and these kids lives will never be the same, but I’m sure the issue will sell. As long as Vogue stays in business and does amazing editorials inside I will buy every issue per year. But trust me, I get your point.

51. Robin January 19, 2011 | 6:17 am

Agreed! Although you have to admit she looks better in Proenza than she has looked in ages, it fits her alleged edginess. And thank god someone did something with her eyebrows and hair.

52. ashley cooper January 19, 2011 | 8:11 am

ha ha ha, I love it!

53. Jaime @ La vie...J'aime January 19, 2011 | 2:35 pm

seriously…can she learn how to smile, please!?

54. Dfest January 19, 2011 | 3:18 pm

This just made me literally giggle at my desk. And now my colleague is staring at me. But I don’t care. This is too funny and too true. Thanks for making us smile! xo Danielle

55. kayce hughes January 19, 2011 | 3:28 pm

Bravo!

56. Jill Roberts Freeman January 19, 2011 | 4:49 pm

I couldn’t agree more!!! Bring back Naomi, Christy, Linda and Cindy! I miss the gorgeous models of the super model 80’s!

57. Mary Helen January 19, 2011 | 8:21 pm

Couldn’t agree more!!

58. Vanessa January 19, 2011 | 10:02 pm

I felt the same way when I received my Vanity Fair with Justin Beiber (sp?) on the cover…ick.

Cheers!

59. Lisa January 20, 2011 | 12:57 am

I agree! If they put Taylor Swift on the cover I will cancel my subscription.

60. Heather January 20, 2011 | 6:50 am

From one Heather to another, I just want to say amen. And she is the total epitome of “sullen face teenager” too.

61. mariel January 21, 2011 | 5:12 pm

I feel the same way. I save every single issue of Vogue – to the point where my fiance is convinced I’ll eventually be on “Hoarders,” trapped in our 1 bedroom apartment by magazines – but this one might need to be saved sans cover.

62. khristian a. howell January 25, 2011 | 10:48 pm

Agreed! I don’t even know how this is. Celeb gossip is not the reason I pick up a Vogue.

63. Brittany January 28, 2011 | 6:39 am

yes, it’s a little nuts to just have celebrities on the cover. the problem i had with this issue in particular was how overly retouched kristen stewart is. they’ve completely restructured her face in some of the images and it looks bizarre.

64. Pony April 3, 2011 | 4:27 pm

Gosh I couldn’t agree more. This cover annoyed me so much. The cover should inspire and I just wanted to smack that look off her face.